Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pearl Harbor and Drive to the Eastern Shore



We were so glad that we took the time to see Pearl Harbor while in Hawaii. We learned so much and it is such a touching memorial. It really makes it real and personal. Gives you faces and lives with stories and families that were affected by this event. It was interesting to see the battle ships and to know that my own Grandpa served in the Navy on huge ships like these. (His was actually a fuel ship for the airplanes instead of a true 'battleship')
USS Missouri and the Memorial for the USS Arizona.

Memorial for the USS Arizona where over 1000 people were killed and entombed.

On the memorial, they have a wall with the names of the men who were killed.
USS Missouri

I tried to take a picture so you could see the Arizona under the water, but couldn't get a good shot. I loved this picture on the information placard.
Spence and I rented the tour guide headphones. Well worth the $5. I learned so much!

These last three pictures are of our drive on Highway 3 out to the eastern shore. It was a gorgeous drive!



0 comments: