We had such a wonderful day at Versailles! We couldn't have asked for nicer weather! No jacket needed!! We took the RER train straight from St. Michel to Versailles. There was some disagreement in our travel books and our Museum Pass on what was covered. (Rick Steves wrong??? NO WAY!!! :) Actually, he was wrong. ;) But, he redeemed himself by telling us in his book about a tourist info place to go to BEFORE you get to the Chateau. We were able to get all our tickets, find out that yes, our pass covered the Domain de Marie Antoinette, and get a very good map of the place!
There were a million people in line there for tickets, then a separate huge line to get in. Unfortunately, the special entrance for pass holders was under construction and they told us to get in the huge line. NO WAY, JOSE!! We decided that we had all seen the Chateau before, but hadn't had time to really enjoy the grounds, so off we went! All I can say is "WHAT A BACKYARD!!" It was so fun to just imagine the dressed up ladies and men having parties, going for boat rides in the Grand Canal, and hunting in the woods. It truly would take a carriage ride to get these primped up people all around! It was quite a hike!
We walked down to the Grand Canal and then Eastward towards the Domain de Marie Antoinette. (probably 30-40 minute walk). We enjoyed that area a lot! It was so much "less" in glamour than the main Chateau. Plus, there weren't as many tourists! I really liked the "Hamlet". It reminded us of the little French town in "Beauty and the Beast". But we were disappointed that it looked like a movie set. There wasn't anything inside the buildings and not much to the yard areas. It was a pretty view though.
There were loads of people sunbathing and riding in boats on the Grand Canal. They didn't seem to all be tourists. I think the locals were out enjoying such amazing weather! When we got back to the Apollo Basin, they had the fountains on. That was one of the reasons we waited for Saturday, as they only come on on the weekends. We took pictures and sat around the fountain and ate some snacks. (It felt great to sit!) It was fun to watch the families. (We were missing our little ones a lot) Then we turned around and there was a wedding party coming up to take pictures in front of the fountain. I think we just have to see a bride every time we visit. Last time we watched a wedding party in the Eiffel Tower Gardens. Very beautiful brides!
We walked around to the West of the Chateau. Here were some very beautiful gardens with very vibrant colors, with more grassy areas and smaller sidewalks. I tried to take some close up pictures of the flowers. I'm not that great of a photographer, but they were beautiful. We couldn't help but think how long had some of the trees been there. Could any of them have been part of an original garden? I don't know. We saw the Colonnade and walked up to the Orangerie. Wow is that pretty. The sun was starting to descend and the lighting was amazing for that area. I really enjoyed seeing that! We walked back to the train and delighted in sitting. I wanted to close my eyes, and did a little, but I was really afraid that I would sink into oblivion and not wake up at the right stop!
Needless to say, we got off at St. Michel and went back to the apartment for a little rest and dinner.





0 comments:
Post a Comment