What a Weekend! For those of you who do not attend our church, every 6 months our church holds its General Conference. We get the opportunity to listen to men we revere as apostles and prophets. They speak on a variety of subjects, all bringing us closer to Christ!
It was very special to get to take turns standing to raise our hands to the square to sustain our leaders. The kids loved being a part of that! Ian even paid special attention as he noted how reverent his dad was being about the whole event. I hope it is something they remember!
Spencer came home from the Priesthood Session so glad that he went! He noted how different Pres. Monson sounded. We've always loved his talks, He sounds like he's telling a bedtime
story. Spencer noted the difference. He was funny and personal , but also serious and direct and "just had the aura of a prophet".
He said he had no doubt that he was now the Lord's prophet. I felt the same way the next day as we listened to him speak in morning conference. I felt the spirit and know that he is to lead and guide us!
I'm always amazed at the blending of so many topics: the Atonement of our Savior, Prayer and getting answers,Safeguarding and building Strong Families, the Scriptures, and so many more... I know we all have our favorites and I can't wait for the Ensign to come out.
In one of the first talks of the Conference, a woman spoke about "traditions" in our homes. I want to thank my mom and dad for making General Conference a 'Spiritual Tradition" in our home. I still remember going out to Jacksonville for the Sunday sessions and having a yummy picnic lunch in between sessions. I remember dad taking the boys to the Priesthood session and then having ice cream if they could answer questions for paying attention. I remember mom taking me to the young womens broadcasts. They always made sure we knew how wonderful it was to hear from our leaders! I hope we are carrying on this tradition and of giving our children opportunities to feel the spirit.
Well, enough sermonizing from me. It was a wonderful weekend and I know I felt the spirit testifying of truth and I am soooo grateful!
Monday, April 7, 2008
Thoughts on Conference
Posted by Aimee Oliver at 8:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Love the new format with the picture changes - everyone looks great!
I'm glad that you have a blog, because no matter how long we chat you never really get to know a lot about each other, and this is a fabulous way to find out all about you and your family. I love the pictures too...you have an adorable family.
Thanks for your thoughts on conference. We are either going to have to watch online of wait for the Ensign. With the move and then Luke being sick, we didn't even recognize the date until we got to church all dressed up ready to go and found the parking lot empty!! I felt like a moron, but then had a hearty laugh! Sounds like a wonderful conference, as always, I am just sad I missed the sustaining of our new prophet!!
thanks for sharing your feelings about conference. it was special wasn't it- i'm glad we don't have to drive to jacksonville anymore though, and can watch from the comforts of my sofa!
Post a Comment