Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spencer's Evening Adventure 3/11/08

Tonight has been the night of phone calls...
6:30pm: Honey, I'm gonna catch the last commuter bus out of the city. I'll call you from the car!

7:30pm: Um, Sorry honey, that last meeting took longer than expected. I'm on the bus now, I'll see you soon.
7:50pm: I'm in the car in Shoreline...really sorry I'm so late...
8:15pm: (A: I almost didn't answer) S:Umm, your not gonna believe this but the car is dead!
A: Where are you? S: On the off ramp at 128th. At least I made it off the freeway. A: Ok, what should I do? Come get you? Call a tow truck?
8:17pm: I call our wonderful home teacher, Andy Shaw, to get advice on a towing company to use. He is absolutely wonderful and offers to go get Spencer so I don't have to drag 4 sleepy kids out in the rain.
8:30pm: Spence calls back and we chat while he waits. He is getting a little cold and very hungry.
10:00pm: S: Well, we are at the Firestone on 164th. We got the car towed and I left the keys. A: So, are you on your way? S: Well, see, your not going to believe this, but Andy's battery is dead!
At this point we are both dying laughing and trying to figure out what to do. I start calling a few friends to see If they could stay with the kids so I could go help jump Andy's car. I finally get a hold of Kristin Wallace and Spence calls back saying they had flagged someone down and that he'd be home soon!

10:20pm Spence gets home safe and sound!!!

We just want to say thank you so much to Andy Shaw! We couldn't ask for a better Home Teacher and friend! Spence says and extra "thank you" for the hot chocolate--It was delicious!

3 comments:

Lynne said...

That's crazy - both of our cars have had battery issues the past few days as well. After we got our new battery in the Odessy the side doors started working again. We were sick of everyone getting in through the front doors. (for some reason they would not even open manually)

emily said...

i had a good chuckle about this as well ... he really is a great guy - it's no wonder his name rhymes with handy! and he lives to serve - it's no cliche. if he could make a living helping people all day ... he'd do it in a heartbeat! it's one of the many things i love about him!

Theresa and Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.