Sunday, December 7, 2008

Grandpa Moline

My sweet Grandpa Moline passed away the week before Emily's birthday. He was 83 years old. He was my last surviving Grandfather. I have to say a big "Thanks" to my sweetheart, as he didn't even bat an eye about sending me out to Utah. He was studying for his big CFP exam and had no time off available to him, but he just looked at me and said "how do we work this out for you?". I also am so grateful for dear friends who helped us with the kids. Thanks Jamie and Beth!!!

I always thought my Grandpa was such an amazing man. He was definetly with plenty of human faults, but he was so independent. He traveled, it seemed, wherever and whenever he wanted. He had lied about his age and joined the Navy at 17. He was on an ammunition ship in the Pacific Ocean during World War II. He met my Grandma at one of those Cantina type dance halls during the war (or was it after the war was over?). He owned a Beauty shop. He used to make jokes about perming my cousins hair and then dying the old ladies' hair purple. :) He was very talented. He loved to dance. Clogging was his specialty. He clogged with a Singles group for years! I remember him visiting us in Arkansas and we took him somewhere where they were playing some country or blue grass music and he started clogging in the back where he was standing. All of a sudden, he became the center of attention and was in the middle of the room with people whistling and clapping and cheering him on. I remember being so proud of him!

Family was the most important thing in my Grandfather's life. I think he struggled with our family a little as we were quite happy living away from the main group in Utah. He was always supportive of what we were doing, and when our family would come to town, the red carpet was always pulled out.
I was very lucky when Spencer and I lived in Utah, to get to be there for the family reunions, cousin parties, 24th of July parties, etc. But my favorite memories are of him being at all my special occasions. He was at my wedding in Logan and he was in each blessing circle for each one of my children. Quite a special moment for me when for Ian's blessing, I realized we had 4 generations in that circle.
I guess we all get a little sentimental remembering special people. I love my Grandpa and miss him! Here are some pictures of the weekend.


My dad giving Bella a flag to put on Grandpa's grave.


Our family: Chuck, Chris, Mom, Dad, Corey, Me, and Amanda.

Mariah and Abbey playing with Uncle Corey.


I didn't notice our hands until recently. Abbey was doing just what I was doing!!

The weekend of his funeral was another important date in our family. My parents celebrated their 40th Wedding Anniversary. We were able to all go out to dinner to celebrate. What was neat was that all of my brothers and sisterand I were able to be with them on this day. I'm so proud of my parents. For their commitment and example to us. I'm so grateful for their love for each other and that their commitment to each other and to Heavenly Father is still so strong!

5 comments:

Colleen said...

What wonderful memories. He sounds like quite the character who loved his family very much. I am glad you were able to be there!

Kedra Simpson said...

What a great man!! Its nice to look back on all the good memories.

And I can't believe that Emily is 12, wow what a beautiful young lady she is. Can you believe how fast time goes and how quickly our "babies" grow?!

Chalonn said...

Great post! Glad you were able to be there with your family to "celebrate" his life on earth!

Yes, we are soooooo excited to have Emily in Young Women's! She has already added so much spirit to our group!

Anna Lynne said...

So Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. So many good memories to keep next to your heart.

Lynne said...

Gpa. Moline was awesome! He was truly a great man. I think he even came to our wedding reception along with another aunt/uncle of yours. Great family you've got there. Good to see all your sibs together too!