Friday, August 22, 2008

My Dear Aunt Karen

Karen Kinsey Call




Many of you know about my sweet Aunt Karen, my mom's oldest sister. She passed away on July 28th from a cancer called Multiple Mylenoma. This was the main reason for our recent trip to Utah. I'm very grateful we could attend her viewing and funeral services. I had the privelege of singing and though I barely made it through, it helped me feel like I expressed something very special for her. I had found a song last Spring by Sally DeFord that is actually a Mothers Day song. It reminded me immediately of Karen.


Both while in High School and when I was engaged to Spencer, Karen shared her feelings about what is important in life. Karen told me how when she was married to her 1st husband, Steve, she was very well off financially. She had the perfect house and all the wonderful things money could buy. But the one thing she couldn't have was children. Because of scar tissue from a ruptured appendix as a child, she couldn't bear children, and Steve didn't want children. She shared how with my Uncle Larry how yes, they had struggled financially a bit, but he gave her children and a wonderful family to love! When she married him she became an instant mother and Grandmother! Then they worked very hard and were able to bring Ben, Andy, Camille, and Cassadee to our family through adoption. She told me the joy she felt with Larry and her family was immeasurable from what the worldly happiness she had had in the past.




The song I sang was called "The Riches of my soul" by Sally DeFord.




It goes:


Bedtime stories; whispered prayers;


Goodnight kisses; dreams to share


Hands to hold; hearts to mold; faces full of wonder


Innocence and eager eyes;


Gentle laughter; lullabies;


Warmth and peace and memories; these will be my treasures




These are the riches of my soul


This is my bright celestial gold


Precious things my heart will always hold


Dearer than the wealth of all the world




Hymns that ring with joyful praise;


Words of truth that light our days;


Parables; miracles: messages from heaven


Hearts that bear the Savior's name


Kindled by the Spirit's flame


All aglow with faith that grows and love that lasts forever




These are the riches of my soul


This is my bright celestial gold


Precious things my heart will always hold


Dearer than the wealth of all the world




Twilight walks and quiet talk of childhood's hopes and fears


Extra miles and "thank you" smiles I'll cherish through the years


Temple walls and mission calls and silent, grateful tears


These are all the world to me


Treasures I can keep




These are the riches of my soul


This is my bright celestial gold


Precious things my heart will always hold


Dearer than the wealth of all the world




Her family was her treasure and she was a wonderful example to me! I love her dearly and am so grateful that we will still be family when we see each other again!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

That's a nice tribute to your aunt. I think Corey looks like her a little bit!

The Nedrys said...

Wonderful tribute, beautiful song...I got emotional just reading it. I probably would have balled if I heard your beautiful voice sing it. Thanks for sharing.